Sunday 25 March 2018

99.9~Keijisenmon Bengoshi~ sII [Episode 4 Extra Notes]

Hello. I'm back from school hell with episode 4! Here are some extra notes for the episode.



1. Lawyer Akashi
 During this scene Akashi says the line "I was shot. Not even my own parents have ever shot me" and apparently this is a parody on a line from the the main character of "Mobile Suit: Gundam", Amuro Ray who says a similar line, "I was hit. Not even my own parents have ever hit me".

2. Itokonchi
As mentioned in the episode, this is another manga artist, Yamada Takatoshi, who is known mostly for the "Dr. Koto" series, which is the work they are referring to in this episode as well. 

 Kanako's latest CD, "ロマンスのカニカマ" or "Kanikana of Romance" is an homage to the song "Romance no Kamisama" by Kohmi Hirose, which was used in a CM for Alpen, a winter sporting good store, which Kanako's cover also makes a nod to.

3. Amazon? Namazun?
 Namazun.co.jp or Amazon.co.jp?

4. Misread texts
The misread texts in Japanese from Ishikawa's husband isn't due to spelling errors (as I translated), but is due to the fact that he writes everything in hiragana, which makes it hard to separate the words properly. For example, this text can be read as  "Kyou ha isha ni iku" (I'm going to the doctor) or Kyou haisha ni iku (I'm going to the dentist). 

Same scenario for this text. It's hard to separate the words properly so the text can either be read as "Kinou no ha nashi de onegai" (Let's forget about yesterday) or "Kinou no hanashi de onegai" (Let's talk about about yesterday).

This text can be read either as "Kongetsu ha daibutsu katta" (I bought a Big Buddha this month) or "Kongetsu ha daibu tsukatta" (I used up quite a bit this month)

4. More building name puns!
The name of the warehouse, Kuramoto Soukou could be a nod to a famous Japanese playright, Kuramoto Sou. 

5. Surprise director!
Surprised director makes another appearance!

6. What it means to be speechless
So, these lines here were actually a really clever play in Japanese that I wasn't able to get across when I translated to English. Sada makes a reaction here, the sound "Guu" and Morimoto's insult in Japanese is actually "Guu no oto mo denai to ha kono koto ka" which directly translates to "So this is what it's like to not even be able to make a "guu"" and is phrase which you say to someone when they're speechless. So, bottom line, they're kind of poking fun at that phrase by making it very literal.

7. Phoenix Wright is that you?
The gamer in me couldn't resist doing this. I don't know if Jun pointing was actually a reference to Phoenix Wright (probably not since he wasn't screaming the word "OBJECTION", but it was hard not to make that connection.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for subbing this series! It's such a hard one to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh the director made another appearance on ep 6 too i think

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I enjoyed both the subtitles and the extras!

    ReplyDelete