Thursday 11 July 2013

進撃の巨人(Shingeki no Kyojin) - Attack on Titan

So... normally I avoid really hyped up anime/manga that people are flailing about because it always just seem like people like them for the "hot guys" (*cough*Free!*cough*) but after seeing some panels of the manga and reading about the plot I decided that this was something I should check out and what a huge mistake I made.



I. LOVE. THIS.

And it's horrible. Because not only is the anime still airing but the manga is only at 40 chapters. And the chapters are released monthly. There goes another 6-8 years (and who knows, maybe even longer?) of my life waiting for this manga to end. I'll be 26 by then!

I started with the anime and right from the start... something about this anime gave me FMA vibes. And if you need to know anything about me, related to anime, it is that FMA is my most loved anime and manga of all time and will forever be my favourite. I don't care what anyone says - it will always be my number one. Now I know that Shingeki no Kyojin is nothing like FMA in reality but it's the feeling that the anime gives me. I still can't pinpoint exactly what but I feel like it has to do with Eren being all hot-headed and fighting for something related to the fact that his mom died. And possibly the random amounts of humor and the fact that all the characters have such clear-cut personalities. And the fact that everything is so gray. The top-brass are probably all the evil-masterminds and people  you think are your friends aren't etc. etc.


Bottom line though is that I love this series. So after I finished catching up with the anime I started reading the manga and now I'm just rolling around at all the revelations and all the amazing characters and UGH.

I'm not the person to come up with theories and "what I think" - ultimately I never think anything until the facts actually appear on the table. Also I don't want to put down any spoilers but I still have some thoughts (mostly things I'm curious about) I want to let out because I have no one to flail about this with (in real life).

***SPOILERS**

  • Ymir is 60+ years old (at least a century possibly?) so... what about Reiner, Bertolt, Annie and Eren. Actually - the one who is most questionable is Eren. Since it was established that the former four appeared only 5 years ago, but Eren (supposedly) has been a child living with his family ever since he was born. (again this is supposedly) but Bertolt both mention how Eren doesn't "remember anything either" - what is he referring to? He can't be referring to the injections because those happened after the first attack 5 years ago and I assume - since he's relating it to Ymir's memory loss, that he's referring to something that happened earlier than 5 years prior
  • Obviously the Titans in the wall and the Wall Cult and what they're all trying to hide - but I'm specifically wonder if this implies that Titans were made by humans (possibly as a mistake?)
  • The Ape Titan seems to be a whole different category in itself - what is its motives? Does it work for itself? If it does, why is it bent on destroying humanity - if not, then who's the person on top?
  • Bertolt and Reiner keep mentioning returning to their hometown - what happened to it (it seemed like it was attacked by Titans? (specifically by Ymir) - if so... does this actually mean that outside the wall the world wasn't necessarily rampage by Titans and that humans actually did exist properly outside the wall? What do they need to do to return to their hometown though? And why are they bent on destroying humanity? What did humanity do to them (or is still doing to them?) Do they not consider themselves humans, or do they consider themselves titans that were able to turn into  humans. The former actually doesn't make sense because again, Ymir attacked them..... or was that AFTER they had managed to gain a human form and (*possibly*) - lost their memories for a bit? 
  • What are Titans really? It seems like the human-titans are different because "normal" titans attack and attempt to eat them but - again - Bertolt and Reiner seem to want to destroy humanity. Also Ymir apparently was able to act like a "normal" titan - and we can't forget about the Titan mentioned in that one Scout's flashback - the one that could talk and mention "Ymir's People" and "Ymir-sama"
  • Are Titans actually an intelligent race and the ones that are just bent on destroying humans ones that have "lost their humanity" (i.e. the human in their neck)? 

OK - I need to stop there because the more I go on the more questions I will have because there is ultimately SO MUCH LEFT UNSAID. Which is no surprise, I doubt this manga is even halfway through (if we use the length of FMA as a comparison which I will do since I have no other manga to compare it to).

Starting this series was a big mistake... I'll be obsessed with it up until my late twenties. Dear god, what did I get myself in to these past few nights? 

No comments:

Post a Comment