Wednesday 21 October 2015

Arashi - Japonism review

Hello. It has been a while again, especially on the Arashi front. I didn't do a review of AoKimi or Ai wo Sakebe. The latter I really should review though because I actually liked it (and I say actually because I was not interested in it in the beginning). But, before I get to that, a more important thing. Arashi's 14th album has been released as of today, Japonism, and as per the usual I will be giving a review of it.




1. Sakura
It kind of amazes me how well I can actually sing this song. I don't remember listening to it that much considering I was never a huge fan of it, but it might be because I watched Ouroboros. Anyway, I did write a review for this song so please read it [HERE].

2. 心の空 (Kokoro no Sora)
I was not a fan of the song when it first came out, nor when I saw the PV previews, but hearing the whole thing in the album I actually am pretty okay with it. I love the taiko (I am a fan of taiko in general) mixed in with the guitar. I really love how it is slightly rock-ish but also has traditional Japanese sounds mixed in it. So why is the song only okay? Because honestly... the way they sing it sounds... very generic I guess? I read a comment on tumblr saying that Arashi has established a very distinct sound (which they were happy about) and I guess I know what they mean... but it is not something I am happy about. I don't mind Arashi having a distinct sound, I think it works for songs like GUTS! and Ai wo Sakebe, but for a rock-ish song like Kokoro no Sora I feel like Arashi needs to move away from peppy J-pop to something  more serious and rough sounding. Like, I think they were halfway there but... there were lines that were sung in a way where I felt just did not match, or was too peppy.

By the way, my review of the PV and the making of, as well as their music station performance can be found [HERE].

3. 君への思い (Kimi he no Omoi)
Oh my gosh the opening to this song is so pretty and in general I just find this song so pretty. I think one thing this song gets right is all the ballads. They are just so spot on, and it might have to do with the fact that traditional Japanese music lends itself well to ballads. This song is just so relaxing to listen to and so pleasing to the ear. Also, when I hear this song I imagine traditional screen doors and snow with spotlights shining on individual members in a relatively dark concert hall. If the performance isn't like that I will be so sad :( Also, the rap is a nice touch.

The end of the song was a bit lacklustre, although the piano was a nice touch.

4. Don't You Know Me? (Jun's Solo)
God, the opening to this song was so deceptive. I had high hopes and then the dance beats started, and the English and I just... I mean, I don't hate it. In fact, I like it more than Stay Gold and Do You Wanna Funk. It's dance music, it's catchy, that's what it's supposed to be. And also, it's catchy in a way where I don't think Jun will give me second hand embarrassment when he performs it (as he did with the Popcorn tour). BUT.... this is definitely, hands down, the weakest solo of the album. Which is also partly due to the fact that all the other solos on the album are so good.

Well. I was never a Jun fan because of his fantastic singing skills anyway so whatever. I am expecting a nice dance performance though regardless. I know, you're probably raising your eyebrows because I'm not talking about Ohno here, but this song deserves a good dance performance. It is clearly a dance track, so come on Jun, impress me.

5. Miyabi Night
...I... don't really have much to say on this song? It's not bad, it doesn't really catch my interest much. It's definitely got the "Japonism" theme going for it but in a spectacularly boring way. The reason I was initially excited for Japonism was because traditional Japanese instruments sound incredibly beautiful in my opinion--Kimi he no Omoi is a great example. This song though... did not do well in using the traditional Japanese sound. At all. The melody of this song is just so... bland. I'm sorry, I really do think this is a terribly boring song. I think even if I heard it in concert I would be very unimpressed.

6. 三日月 (Mikazuki)
Okay, so there is Kimi he no Omoi pretty, and then there is this pretty. Within the first 5 seconds I decided this was my most favourite non-solo song of the album. I just... ugh, it's just so great. I think what impresses the most is that amidst the relatively quiet instrumental is their slightly over-autotuned voices which actually blends really well with the melody. It's a great mix of a modern-sound with the more traditional Japanese sound. Like, with this song I imagine water dropping onto a still pond, and traditional clothing. This is the type of sound I expect when I hear "Japonism". Quiet stillness blended in with surges of modern energy--I guess because in my mind the image of Japan is the image this song gives me. A still pond that occasionally ripples from droplets of water falling from the leaves of a tree.

7. Bolero
This... song was interesting to hear when it first came up after Mikazuki because.... I mean, the contrast. You go from such a still and quiet song to something that seems to be inspired more from Spain than Japan. Which, nothing wrong with that and well, it is interesting considering the title of the album. So, is this song good or bad? ...I'm kind of impartial. I can see myself enjoying it in a concert because of the high energy of it, but as a song by itself.... it's not my style.

8. Mr. FUNK (Aiba solo)
I think this is my most favourite Aiba solo. Disco Star was great and all but I love how this song keeps the energy, but is also more toned down and mature sounding in the way Aiba sings it. I really love how deep and steady his voice is in this song. Also, the rap was a pleasant surprise and I actually really enjoyed it. I think he did a good job with the rap. The thing with a lot of Aiba's solos (such as Disco Star) is that I get a bit too lost with his energy and I can never really keep up with them. They're always just a bit too genki and happy, but Mr. FUNK isn't like that. Yeah, it has the energy, but as I said it is more toned down as well so it feels more mature and serious, and I like that. I really do love this song. If Sho and Ohno's solo didn't exist, it would be at the top of the list for sure.  

9. 暁 (Akatsuki)
Let me just get this out there now. If Ohno doesn't perform this in a traditional Edo-style wear with a sword I will be so disappointed. Think back to when he still did butais, something like Amaterasu. We need that. Because this song deserves that. I cannot imagine this song being performed without a sword in Ohno's hand--a very beautiful and artistic sword dance.

I really have no words for this solo. Not just out of the solos, but out of a majority of the songs on the album, I think it captures what "Japonism" means the most. The album is supposed to show how Japan is seen on the outside right? And I think this song shows exactly how Japan is seen on the outside once you erase anime weeaboos from the picture. Beautiful, mysterious, samurai. Epic. This song sounds like it should be telling the epic story of a famous samurai. It just has that feel with the rolling drum beats in the background and the flute/recorder. It sounds like something I would hear when my mom watches this mainland Chinese historical sagas if they were talking about Japan instead. Seriously.  Ohno needs to do a sword dance.

10. 青空の下君の隣 (Aozora no Shita, Kimi no Tonari)
I never wrote a review for this and the reason is because... well, I didn't have much to say. I mean, you know, standard theme song fare. The usual. Catchy, like Sakura for some reason I can sing it really damn well and again it might have to do with the fact that I actually watched the drama. The performance... I remember being very unimpressed with. The PV was also boring as well as the Making Of. Did not like any of the B-sides. So. Yeah. I don't dislike the song but I sure don't like it.

11. Rolling Days (Sho Solo)
I rarely use the word sexy seriously to describe something. I will use it jokingly, or in situations like "oh that library is sexy" or "that cake is sexy". For people though, I rarely ever use sexy seriously. Mostly because I am AroAce and do not find people sexy. Yes, that includes Jun as well--I don't find him sexy, but I do find him aesthetically pleasing. And yes, there is a difference, because I see Jun attractive in like how one would look at a beautiful painting, or admire the night sky.

....with that being said, this solo is truly sexy. Like. Sho's voice in this song is just... fuck. I just. If I had to pick a sound to describe the word sexy I would pick this song because Sho's voice is what I imagine sexy sounds like. How deep his voice is, the steady tempo of the song, the way he dips down occasionally and then lilts back up.. The heavy rap songs like TABOO were nice, the more up-beat songs like Hey, Yeah and Kono Mama Motto I really enjoyed, but this. This song is what Sho should do all the fucking time. This is my most favourite solo as well as song on the album as a whole. Yes. you heard that right. I just... I cannot get enough of this song.

12. イン・ザ・ルーム (In The Room)
I think the members said this song had a very showa-feel and if you know anything about Japanese history, I can see why. This is a very sexy song, not in the way that Sho's solo was sexy, but in the contents of the song. The situation of the song feels like we're transported back to the 1920s when Japan was rapidly lapping up Western culture, and indulging in Western pleasures, and you have a man who is having secret rendezvous with a woman in a high-class posh club, and she's got the whole curls, dark red lipstick look going on. Dim lights, red fluffy couches, If anyone has watched Wagaya no Rekishi it's where Shibasaki Kou's character works. Imagine that kind of setting. Except more mysterious and risque.

Overall I like this song. I think it is a good, solid song. Which is more than I can say about a lot of the other songs I've already reviewed for this album ^^;;.

13. マスカレード (Masquerade)
I'm still not entirely sure what to think about the song. The way it opens makes me think it isn't my style, but once you get past the opening I actually really like the song. So that's why I don't know what to think. Because when I hear the opening, my first thought isn't an excited "Oh this song!" but a very quizzical "...what am I listening to?" But then you get past that and I like it. So yeah.

Also, despite not sounding very "traditionally" Japanese, I feel like this song and In the Room still fit with the theme in how they both sound a bit mysterious and secretive. I'm not sure why I associate those two things with Japan, but I think it has to do with how Japanese society is very firm on separating your "private face" and "public face", hence, the air of mystery. Or rather than mystery, I guess the song gives off a very subdued feeling, like you're standing half in the shadows? I'm not 100% what I'm trying to get at, but unlike Bolero, despite not having any (from what I can hear), traditional Japanese sounds, I think it still fits with the theme.

14. MUSIC (Ninomiya Kazunari)
I think this song is very fitting of Nino. I have no idea what the fuck he is saying at all and even after finding the lyrics, I don't think i could sing along to this song ever because I have no idea how he is pronouncing the English. But as I said, this song is very Nino. In terms of lyrics and sound. I like it--as I have liked all the solos. As I said, all the solo's in this album have been very strong. I'm glad Nino has finally moved away from what he's been producing lately for his solos, which were starting to get very dry and boring. This song actually has some life and character to it! I also love how when he mentions 8-bit sounds it actually starts playing video game sounds.

At the same time, I feel like I am going to get major second hand embarrassment from his performance. I'm just imagining Nino dancing and... I'm sorry, I love Nino, but the guy is so flaily. it worked for Himitsu when he was 22, but he was right during AraFes when he said that doing a dance like that now would just be embarrassing, but I cannot imagine Nino doing anything but flail for this song. I hope he proves me wrong though.

15. 伝えたいこと (tsutaetai koto)
This pretty much sounds like a Christmas song except they never actually say anything related to winter or Christmas. But regardless, it still sounds like a Christmas song and no one can convince me otherwise. That's it. I have no other comments.

16. Japonesque
Not my style. I don't dislike it, but so not my style at all.

17. 僕らがつないでゆく (Bokura ga Tsunaide Yuku)
The opening makes it sound like it could be a Ghibli song... and then... (I'M SORRY), the singing starts. See, with Kimi he no Omoi and Mikazuki their singing complements the melody of the song. I cannot say the same with this song. Their singing just.... feels too intense for the song. Like they're shouting too much when it should just be soft and gentle and quiet. But alas, they aren't being gentle or quiet. This is a song where I would prefer just having an instrumental.

18. the Deep End
Sounds like a weird mash up of Move Your Body from the Dream A Live album and Don't Stop from BNMF. Anyone agree? Just me? Anyway. Next.

19. Make a Wish
This sounds like your typical "未来へ目指す". Oh look, they even say that during the song. *sigh*. Next.

20. ふるさと (Furusato)
I've always liked furusato. Did I ever want it released on a CD though? Not particularly, but as I said, I have always liked the song. I think it is very sweet in how simple the lyrics are. And yeah, if they were to put it in any album, this one is definitely the best fit.

21. 日本よいとこ摩訶不思議 (Nippon Yoitoko Maka Fushigi)
I can totally see this being a B-side to Shounentai's Kamen Budokai. Also yes, this is also definitely the sound I imagine when I hear the word "Japonism". Why? Because it reminds me of ninja's and chaos, but in a very fun and mischievous kind of way. If Arashi don't wear ninja clothes when they perform this I will be forever disappointed at a missed opportunity. I do not see how you can perform this song in anything but traditional Japanese wear.

Also, I cannot listen to the rap properly without smirking after the secret talk. I loved Nino's version, he really does sound like someone who is trying really hard to be charismatic xD.

---

And there we have it. As you can see, my opinions for a majority of the songs was either "LOVE THIS" or "...no opinion, whatever". Honestly, I think the strongest part of this album were the solos. They were all amazing this time around (...except save for Jun's *cough*) and had so much character and individuality---they stood out, which I cannot say for any of the other songs on this album. Even for the songs I said I really liked, such as Mikazuki, I mean, I like them when I heard them but I don't necessarily remember them once they stop playing. Which is disappointing. I had high hopes for this album... maybe that's why I'm so lacklustre about it?

With that being said, just due to the theme being about "Japan" and due to a lot of the traditional instruments they used, I like this album more than The Digitalian. Who knows, this might be another LOVE album, where after watching the concert I will enjoy the album a lot more? I feel like it's kind of hard though because man, some of these songs really are just way too generic and lack any sort of defining characteristic.

Anyway, I will review the making of/PV and music station performance all at once, so please wait for that on Friday.

I will also write a very belated review of Ai wo Sakebe. So wait for that too!

No comments:

Post a Comment