Wednesday 20 July 2016

Arashi - I seek / Daylight [review]

Here we are, Arashi's 49th single and their first double A-side in 4 years? 5 years? I don't remember, but it's been a while. Not surprising to anyone, these two songs are the themes to two Arashi dramas, Sekai Ichi Muzukashii Koi and 99.9. I am watching both so I've heard both songs.

Truthfully, I didn't really have an opinion of either song before the singles came out. From what I could from the dramas, I liked I Seek a lot more than Daylight... but now that the single has come out? I am really confused with how I feel about it.

You can read my review and see what I mean when I say, I am seriously confused at how I feel about this single:


  • I Seek: I like this song in the way I like all theme songs--they're made to be catchy and fun and this song is very much that. If you asked me which song is easier for me to remember--I Seek or Daylight, I Seek wins every time. But... there's something about it that isn't my style, and I'm not sure what it is. Just something about how the song sounds that makes me go "eh". It's not necessarily because I think it's a bad song either, and I wouldn't say it's' bland or boring, but... everything that isn't the chorus is pretty forgettable I guess. If anything, I think the part of the song I enjoy the most is when I got "bu-bu-bu-da-bu-baaaa" at the beginning. Ohno's solo is also pretty nice I guess. ^^;; I guess it's just one of those songs, sounds alright, but not really up my alley.  
  • Daylight: Hearing this as a theme song -- it's pretty bland. But, by itself as just a song by itself, overall, I like it more than I Seek. I like the melody more. Sure, it's not as catchy and more often than not I can't really remember what it sounds like, but when I do hear the song, in it's entirety, I end up really enjoying it. I don't really have any comment on the sakurap though. I was pretty excited for it when Jun mentioned Sho was going to rap for it, but... honestly the rap for this is pretty forgettable. *shrugs* Ah well. It's just a very pleasant song to listen to. It's not refreshing or uplifting or anything like that, but it just sounds nice to have playing in my ear. 
  • Tadaima: Apparently this song was made specifically for their arena tour and they wrote the lyrics (or at least part of them)? Well, it definitely sounds like a grand "return" song and it definitely gives off a very "tadaima" / "I'm home" sort of feel to it. Musically it's pretty damn simple and even lyrically it's nothing that really blows you out of the water (you know the usual "your smile gives us strength / sorry for making you wait" stuff, but I can see this song really working in the concerts. It's a song that definitely has a lot of feeling to it despite it's simplicity. It's very sweet. I can imagine this triggering lots of tears and crying during their arena tour ^_^. As a song by itself though...... I can't really ever imagine listening to it just by itself, BUT, come back to me after I've gone to their arena concert and see what my opinion is after. 
  • Supersonic: Whoa, they were not joking when they said this was a dance track. I like it! I don't know if anyone remembers the band Aqua? They sang "Barbie Girl" and "Cartoon Hero's" --this song gives me that vibe. And I really like "Cartoon Hero's" thanks to my old DDR days. I mean, of course it also gives me the typical dance club vibe too, but that really doesn't say much. I could definitely jam to this song though. This would also be a great work out song =D. I just like how high energy it is. Dance club/techno stuff usually isn't really my thing either. I think if I had to compare this with I Seek as "high energy" songs, I think I actually prefer Supersonic more. Let's leave it at that. 
PVs:
  • I Seek: I... this PV makes me laugh. I mean, it's clearly supposed to be some sort of house party--I am assuming it's after a house party, but the image it presents is amusing. They look like a bunch of sad 30-year old bachelors who have nothing better to do on a Friday night except dance in their own living room ^^;;. It's cute, but having just the 5 of them is just... with all the decorations and their clothes, it feels almost lonely. I'm guessing the ACTUAL idea was that it's 5 guys after a house party who have probably had a bit too much to drink (there are a lot of half-empty glasses scattered throughout the PV), but yeaaaaah.... it makes me laugh. xD
  • Daylight: I think I've already mentioned a lot how I'm not a fan of PVs where they just stand about doing absolutely nothing so... yeah. Random thoughts that ran though my mind as I watched the full PV? The sand must've been annoying (cue Anakin Skywalker....). Who did some of the effects, because that moment just before Ohno's solo line in the second verse where they transpose the sky on top of Arashi? Uh. Yeaaah.... no comment. Oh look daylight. I GET IT NOOOOW. Hahaha....... wow Jun is hella pretty in this PV. That shot where he's got his hands behind his neck and is just staring at the camera... *___*. 
No comment on the performances of the making ofs. I watched them, but couldn't be bothered to watch them again ^^;; 

No comments:

Post a Comment