Wednesday 13 June 2018

99.9~Keijisenmon Bengoshi~ sII [Episode 7 Extra Notes]

Hi. Sorry. I thought I uploaded episode 7 a long time ago, but apparently I didn't. Episode 8 is currently being timed, and episode 9 is being translated at the pace of a snail (all my fault), but it will come eventually!

Unfortunately, there is a reason I'm taking so long with these subs and due to this, my extras post may be a bit smaller than usual for the last two episodes despite both of them being extended.


1. Attorney General
Okay, I felt I had to explain this because legal systems across countries obviously differ, and therefore, so do a lot of official titles for certain people. In Sada's TV show talk segment he is explaining the process by which the Japanese Government appoints a prosecutor to represent them in legal matters that involve the government (like how a company has a legal advisor to represent them in court). The term for this position in Japanese is 訟務検事 (shoumu kenji) which really just translates to "litigation public prosecutor", but in this instance refers specifically to litigation involving the State.

Now, if you noticed, I called the person in this position an "Attorney General" which is the title given to the main legal advisor of the government in my own country, which is Canada. The thing is, and I am aware of this, an Attorney General is not equivalent to the position that Sada is referring to, mostly because Japan's legal system is clearly different. But, it's the closest equivalent in my country. In Japan, a 訟務検事 seems to be more a title, and a flexible position that a person is appointed to temporarily for a specific reason, and then they switch out, whereas in Canada an Attorney General is both a title, and a person's full time job.

2. Next Innovation?

For those who watched Rich Man, Poor Woman, with Oguri Shun and Ishihara Satomi, Next Innovation was Oguri's company in that drama. 

3. Brand names! 
Family Max = Family Mart (A convenient store chain in Japan)
Starducks Coffee = Starbucks Coffee

Louis Ramos = reference to Ruy Ramos, a Brazilian former-professional soccer (football) player who played for the Japanese national team.



4. Itokonchi

Kanako's new song "ダンシング・ヒーコー" (Dancing Hi-Co (Coffee backwards)) is an homage to "ダンシング・ヒーロー" (Dancing Hero) by Oginome Yoko,  


Kanako mentions eating crepes at "Crepe TOKIO" which is actually a reference to the store that Bon (Jun's character) opened in Pikanchi.


5. Pun's explained
The puns this time around were pretty hard for me to manipulate to fit the context of the drama, so I got really creative with some of them. The one I want to explain the most is the "Megane ga Me Ga Ne" one, cause that one really threw me off since it's a two-liner, with a set-up.

Megane: In Japanese, Miyama sets up his pun by asking "Why are you hiding? These glasses have no eyes!" as in you won't be seen anyway. I went with "Don't try to hide it, you couldn't see him being a criminal" - which is me playing on the word "see" (since the original pun is about glasses and vision), and the idea that Sasano couldn't have, both literally and metaphorically "seen" Ogata embezzling funds. ....Yeah.

Drugs: The next pun Miyama lines up is about medicine! Again, another difficult one, I decide to just skip the word meds and went straight for the drug reference because meds = drugs, and drugs = getting high! Woooo. And being high can sort of roughly be linked to "feeling relieved", which somehow morphed into the saying "high on life" in my mind. Feeling relieved about something -> Feeling "high" on life = high = drugs = meds. It makes sense right?

Suits: Okay, I will admit I didn't try too hard with this one. Four puns is just too much for me, even if one of the four puns was borrowed from season 1. Also, I really couldn't think of a good way to actually use the word "suit" or any sort of clothing to reference feeling good or relieved, so I didn't try. I just used a different "suit" pun, where I was playing with the word "suit" as both an object, and as a verb. And considering Miyama is supposed to making terrible dad puns, I can totally imagine my dad saying something corny like "This suit really suits me, *wink*" so.... that's the explanation for this pun.

That's all for this episode. At this rate I'll probably be seeing you in August with episode 8 and 9 /runs.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for continuing to work on this series!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you realize that in 02:50 Sada make a parody of "Doctor X ~Gekai Daimon Michiko~" slogan? XD
    I laugh a lot with that "Watashi, (...) shinai no de" because Ittoku Kishibe plays in "Doctor X" XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. From one Torontonian to another, thank you very much for spending all the time and effort in translating this show. My girlfriend and I enjoy 99.9 very much and it's nice to be able to watch great shows from her homeland that we can both enjoy made possible by subbers like you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, another wonderful extras from you, otsukaresama deshita! _(_ _)_
    Thank you so much for your effort, i do really appreciate it :*

    ReplyDelete
  5. And also when Miyama asked the PR girl about the bag, she said she bought it from the shop called Saejima Thrift Shop. It was her name from another movie called Code Blue. She played as the nurse flight.
    :)

    ReplyDelete