Saturday 10 June 2023

[Album Review] Sexy Zone - Chapter II

It's been a really long time since I've done an album review, but I'm really excited to do this one. I absolutely loved The Highlight last year and in general have loved all of SZ's album's since XYZ=Repainting. Their music has just gotten so good year by year. As per usual - this is all just my personal opinion and I usually write my reviews free-flow (literally as I'm listening to the song) so it's really my fresh first impression. Hope folks enjoy!

 

1. 雨ぬ唄えば (Ame ni Utaeba) - Shori Solo

I like it, very chill. Easy on the ears. I don't know my music genres but I feel like this song falls in line with genres I usually like (R&B?). I will say though, Shori's voice has never really been my thing (it's just a bit... too soft?) and so his solo's are always a bit of a miss for me, but I can acknowledge that this is still objectively a good song. I can imagine a very tasteful performance for this.  

2. EXTACY LUV

Definitely a bop! It's hard not to reflexively groove to this song. The beat is solid, all of their voices just sound so smooth - especially Fuma hitting those low notes and the way their voices blend during the high notes during the chorus. Oof. I still get a bit of a shock whenever Sexy Zone sing songs that are so blatantly about sex even thought they're all adults now, but all those songs always end up being so good - this one included. 

3. My World - Fuma Solo

Ooooooh wow, this is such a powerful solo. I'm not the biggest fan of rap, but this is good. Fuma sounds so good and I had a chance to look at the lyrics and they're so clever. Again, not my style, but I can acknowledge and appreciate the quality. It's one of the few times I feel like a Johnny's rapper has actually managed to hit the same sound and vibe as American rap which is pretty awesome. I'm not shading on Johnny's or Japanese rap btw, I think the two languages just lend itself to different vibes when it comes to rap, so I'm properly impressed at the balance that Fuma managed to hit with this song.

4. Purple Rain

I liked Purple Rain ever since they dropped the preview for it. It's such a good representative of the 80s/90s vibe they're clearly going for, and also just so catchy! I found myself humming "romantic side of the night" line all the time. I also love the performance for it and just the overall visual of the song. A great title track for the album. 

5. Turbulence - Sou Solo

This is such a beautiful song. Out of all solo's I was looking the most forward to Sou-chan's solo because it's been so long since he had one and I was curious what he would do. It's clearly a very personal song and I can hear how heartfelt it is... and ooooh, I just hit the chorus and I am loving this. I love the increase of the bass, and the more electric/synthetic beats that get added in. It just makes the chorus sound so powerful, but it also such a great balance from the gentleness of the rest of the song that is mainly held up by the piano. Honestly, when this song started with the piano keys I already knew I would love it. Nothing gets me more than a good piano and this is *chefs kiss*. And again! The blend back into a more electric sound is so good, and the way the song just ends!! Omg!! This is definitely going to be a favourite of mine.

6. ROSSO - Kento Solo

To the surprise of no one, I am a Kenty stan and his solos are 80% why. I have always loved Kenty's solos and maybe I'm bias, but his style of music is just one that I really like! This song is clearly no exception. I love the jazzy/jazz club vibes of this song. I can just imagine him performing with a stand mic and single spot light, this is just such a smooth song. Also I just genuinely love the instrumentals of this song? I just want to sit and pick apart every piece, the piano, the drums, the solo guitar track thrown in hnnnng (I love a good piano track can you tell?) Kenty can you serenade me with this please? Definitely one of my more favourite solos for sure.

7. Stolen Heart

Oooooooh, I like this! This song is absolutely my type of vibe. Chill, mid-tempo. Their voices all sound so smooth and calming. I just want to close my eyes and sink into the vibes. I think this is probably actually my most favourite non-solo track of the album so far. No words, just vibin'

8. BUMP

Oooooh, another song I can already tell I'm going to like right off the bat and yup, once the singing starts I am loving it even more. This song is just so powerful, I am absolutely imagining a performance with flames. I LOVE the heavy bass, the lower-key that they're staying in and the roughness of their voices. I cannot WAIT to see this performed, and from what I saw they open the concert with this? Excellent choice.

9. 泡 (Awa)

Okay, this is clearly turning into one of those "I like the second half of the album a lot more than the first" because once again, just from the first few notes of this song my interest was piqued! I can see why this song is called "Awa" (bubbles) because I definitely get a very blue, floating in bubbles, vibes with this song. The little bell drop sound that just reminds me of water droplets that is so consistent throughout is such a nice touch. Sexy Zone's voices are honestly so good when it comes to mid-tempo songs honestly, they're just so chill and calming to listen to.

10. Message

Ah. We've hit the "ganbare" song that is reminiscent of an anthem. Very Arashi-vibes. Oooh, I like the guitar track that starts up though! Very nice and gives a nice oomph to the song that could otherwise have been quite generic. Seriously the instrumental quality of the songs on this album have been absolutely stellar. I just hit the backhalf of the song and truly the guitar track in this song is so good!

11. Take A New Step

I can see this being another really fun and potentially iconic performance in their concert. It's clearly a dance track. I like their vocals in this as well. I said I like Sexy Zone when they hit the low notes, but I also love it when they hit the falsetto's. They have so much range and it always sounds so good.

12. Make You Mine

Man, this is definitely giving me 90s pop vibes, kinda backstreet boys/N*Sync-ish for sure. And I realize this is another *ahem* sexy song. Oh this is very reminiscent of an Arashi song to me as well, although not sure which one exactly. I like it! Very solid. Interestingly, I think as an Arashi song I actually would've loved this/would've been a favourite - but this album has so many other amazing songs, that it just misses the mark. But again, still a very solid song!

13. Sad World

Oh! A chill rap song! (If you can't tell, clearly I like the lower key-mid tempo songs, hahaha). I mean, given the title I am not surprised this song is more chill, hahaha. I like it! A lot. Very tasteful. I can imagine the water drizzle effect they had from their previous cons like POP STEP/SZ10th being very fitting for a song like this. 

14. 再会の合図 (Saikai No Aizu) 

This was the only other song I listened to the preview off and it's such a clear message to Marius and for that, I love it. I mean, it's also just a fun rap song. I also do enjoy the rhythm of the chorus and the way they say the "nakama yo, tomo yo". So catchy and so meaningful. Also love the trumpets (I think they're trumpets?)

15. 長電話 (Nagadenwa)

Have we hit the ballad? <3 I love it already, such a lovely instrumental opening. Sexy Zone always have such lovely ballads. This one definitely gives me somewhat 90s ballad vibes, I don't know why. I didn't even listen to ballads back then, but something about it gives me very nostalgic vibes. I'm not fully listening to the lyrics, but considering the song is about a long phone call, I feel like the nostalgic vibes is fitting. Feels like a reminiscing sort of song. Very solid ballad.

16. せめて夢の中でだけは君を抱きしめて眠りたい (Semete Yume No Naka De Dake Ha Kimi Wo Dakishimete Nemuritai) 

And finally the closing song, which absolutely sounds like the closing to an anime from the 90s, which is so fitting for the final song of the album. Seriously, even the title makes me think this could be an anime closing for like... a sports anime? Slam Dunk? (I never actually watched Slam Dunk, but it's about the vibes!) I can definitely see myself becoming very addicted to this song if I'm in a specific mood. It's the type of mid-tempo ballad that I typically enjoy when I'm looking for something simple, straightforward, and vocally pleasing.

Overall Thoughts: [9/10]

Sexy Zone have been releasing quality music for a while and this album is just another shining example of that. This is such a solid album. Even if some of the songs aren't necessarily to my taste, I cannot deny that they're all good songs that are incredibly well-produced. Musically the instrumentals are all so good, and Sexy Zone have always have really stable voices with a good range. They're honestly such a versatile group. Also I genuinely love how their style has shifted and changed - they just sound so mature now and it's so good. It's almost jarring to hear some of their older stuff (Lady Diamond, LOL), but it also makes their growth so much more amazing. Like if you made me listen to this album in 2011 and told me this is what Sexy Zone would sound like in ten years, I don't think I would entirely believe you - they're grown so much

If I'm being honest, this is the level of album I wish Arashi had been able to hit. Don't get me wrong, Arashi had great albums and songs, but the musical complexity wasn't always there (in my opinion). But every single song in this album is incredibly well produced and so solid. They all stand out from each other, and they all have their own charm. 

I think the only reason I'm not giving this a 10/10 is because I can't really say that I LOVE every single song, but again - I can appreciate and definitely like all of them. 

My favourites are definitely Stolen Heart, BUMP and Awa. Solo-wise, I'm bias, so Kenty's solo did end up being my favourite but I do really love Turbulence, and I think all their solo's were incredibly solid in general and are some of the best they've ever done. 

I've also already read some concert reports and I already know I'm going to be buying the concert DVD when it comes out because I can already tell this concert is going to be amazing, just like The Highlight was. 

Alright, that's my review. Excellent album, A++++, please continue releasing quality music Sexy Zone, you guys are amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment