Monday 8 January 2024

More Sad SZ News for the New Year

We're two years running for sad Sexy Zone news to start off the New Year. This is not a good trend. Unfortunately, this year I am here to talk about Kento leaving. 

I see a lot of fans who are incredibly shocked, upset, and clearly feel somewhat betrayed. I get it. You are allowed to be upset and feel whatever it is you're feeling (although please don't attack him for it). 

As for me, I'm... disappointed. Not at Kento, or any of the members, but for the group as a whole and what they "could have" been. When Marius left I was crushed. I still firmly believe 5nin SZ had so much potential as an idol group that could connect so much more with the international world. But I never faulted him for leaving.

Sexy Zone as four was also something with a lot of potential. Especially with "Chapter II" and the way they had been framing things since Marius left. So, it's just... disappointing, that once again, we'll have to see Sexy Zone rebuild themselves. And this time, I think it is truly from scratch. Even putting my bias aside, I think we can all agree on how much Kento's efforts put this group on the map. 

 SZ had said they'd wanted to change their group name for a while, and the narrative fans had come up with prior was they were jumping on J&A crumbling to push for a name change that would help improve marketability overseas for both Kento and the group. In light of this announcement though, I think it is actually much more likely they finally agreed to change their name because Kento decided he wanted to go. Actually - I feel like it's probably both. They wanted to change their name, could never really figure out good timing, then with STARTO and Kento leaving it created the perfect impetus. Because honestly, trying to keep the "Sexy Zone" brand without Kento... would be hard. I'm not trying to demean Fuma, Shori and Sou, but Kento really was the one who single-handedly turned the "Sexy" of Sexy Zone into something fun, funny and memorable, rather than cringy and low-key horrifying to share. It's not really something the five of them decided on as a group, and so asking the remaining members to carry on that legacy, I think, is asking a lot. I think a new name - whatever it will be - will be able to better reflect the type of people Fuma, Shori and Sou are and what they want to bring to the table. 

Disappointment aside - otherwise, I'm not that sad, upset, or even shocked about Kento's decision. Full disclosure, I probably project a bit too much onto Kento, but let me explain where I am coming from.

One of the things that had always endeared me to Kento, which might seem very superficial, is that he is the same age as me. It's not just that we're the same age though - it's that coupled in with everything he was saddled with WHILE BEING MY AGE. Now, I know you might also be like, "But, Fuma was with him!" and yes, he was, but when you're 16 and 17, that one year of difference is a huge difference. I'd bet you that Kento probably had to deal with the brunt of many more things that not even Fuma had to deal with simply because he was the oldest and everyone would come to him first. You mix that with Kento's own personality, his own drive, his own desire to be the best of the best? I cannot even begin to imagine the pressure he was in. 

He has said it himself, that when he was 18-19, he was probably depressed. Frankly, his resilience is what really drew me to him. I think because we're the same age, I often imagine what I would've done if I were in his shoes and I could have never. Whether it was navigate his relationship with Fuma (I would've destroyed it), or taking care to still allow Marius and Sou-chan to enjoy themselves--and all of this while going to university and going through the hustle of building his acting career, and trying to give this group even a droplet of a chance at catching the public eye. Kento is an only child, but being in Sexy Zone basically saddled him with the sudden responsibility of being the Oldest Sibling in a household with no parents. And he bore that responsibility like a true Asian older brother - quietly, without complaint and keeping his distance.

And then more recently, Kento has talked more and more about wanting to do international work. More and more he's gone from talking about goals for the group to his own personal goals. He's worked so hard on his English, on building contacts with folks in Hollywood and who knows where else. Kento has always been a guy with big dreams, and it's clear that for a period of time he really tried hard to integrate his own dreams with that of Sexy Zone's group goals--and I think 2023 was probably the year he was really able to test things out. To really see, can he do work internationally and SZ work, and be okay with the result. And I guess he found his answer was no.

I've seen some people say they don't understand why he can't just stay in the group and do his solo work since that's what he's been doing so far, and Sexy Zone barely does any group work anyway, but that's kind of the issue? How often have fans called for more group work? If Kento continues to push for his own solo work, SZ will probably never do any further group work. They'll probably never have their own variety show, or youtube channel, or anything they do as a group besides release singles and albums. And honestly, that's not fair to the group. Also just because to us fans it looks like he was able to manage everything okay - I really wonder. I wonder how tiring and insane his schedule must have been. I feel like Kento probably also wants Sexy Zone to be the best group it can possibly be, and you can't be the best when your work gets limited because one member is constantly off doing his own thing. For Arashi fans - that was Nino's entire reason for not doing more work internationally even though he clearly would have had the chance after Iwo Jima - but look how much filming Iwo Jima cut into Arashi's schedule!  

You could argue they could just do their own thing anyway and Kento can just do his own thing and pop in when he does have the time, but if that's the case - why even say in the group? This is truly one of those situations where I really don't think you can have your cake and eat it to. Not if you want to put your 100% in to everything the way Kento does. Kento is a human, not a robot. His persona as an actor, and his persona as an idol, in Sexy Zone, are two different things no matter how much he has presented them as one. Even though Fuma, Shori and Sou all have their own solo work, it's not truly "solo" and is often still meant in some ways to help bring recognition to the group. But really building up your own, individual, completely solo career? That is a whole other thing, and it's clearly something Kento wants to do. Could he spend a longer time trying to see if he could balance the two? Sure, but I feel like it would inevitably have led to the same result if Kento really ever became big enough, or if Sexy Zone ever became big enough - at some point he would have had to choose anyway. It's just that now, he's making the choice on his own terms, and not when he's basically forced to at a breaking point. 

I honestly really respect Kento for making this decision because, and this is where our similar ages come into play, as someone who is also trying to figure out my career and what I really want to do within my field and leaning towards going independent, I don't think it was an easy decision and I think it takes a lot of courage to take that step. Is it maybe a bit selfish? Sure, but I don't think it's always a bad thing to be a bit selfish. But you know what - it's also scary as hell. It's so scary to willingly let go of a comfortable support to try to do everything on your own. At the end of the day though, we are the only person living our life, and sometimes we have to make the choices that feel most right to us and trust that even if it impacts others, that those others will also be able to find their own way. Fuma, Shori and Sou are also professionals who have been in the industry just as long, they will continue to produce good work with or without him - I believe that, and I think Kento believes that.

Ultimately, I get why Kento is leaving. Given what he has shared over the years about his goals and his dreams, and seeing the career choices he has made recently, I am honestly not surprised this is the path he decided to take. Back when he filmed Concordia I had already began questioning what would realistlically happen if he actually began working on more international projects, and I guess I didn't have to wait long to find out. As I said, I do feel disappointed since SZ as a group of five, and as a group of four, had a lot of untapped potential that we'll never get to see now -- but that's not to say that this new group that will form won't also come with it's own greatness. I'll be honest, I don't know how invested I'll be because Kento and Marius were my biggest draws to SZ, but I do think Fuma, Shori and Sou are all incredibly good at their jobs and deserve to see success from their efforts. 

All the best to Kento - I do truly hope I can see you in a Hollywood movie one day or even just a worldwide hit TV series.

And all the best to Fuma, Shori and Sou too--I can't promise I'll be an avid fan, but I'll certainly keep my eye out on you guys and your successes :).

No comments:

Post a Comment