Monday 2 June 2014

誰も知らない Review [single + performance]

You know, people actually visit my blog apparently. Or they click on it - somehow, and it surprises me because I don't advertise this blog, I don't get comments... like, where do these views come from? Where have these 3000 page views come from - and most people seem to have clicked on my review/semi-translation of Aiba's guesting on kuwazugirai (maybe I should keep doing stuff like that?). Actually I just re-read that post and I said I would also do the same thing for Jun's guesting on kuwazugirai which never happened.

ANYWAY - I'm getting off topic because for this post I wanted to talk about Arashi's latest single Daremo Shiranai. So, on with the review then yes?


誰も知らない: I like it, but I think out of all the singles they've released this year it's the weakest one. I like the sound of the second half more than the first half (so pretty much the part we didn't get to hear until the single was actually released). I don't want to say the song is boring, because it's not - I mean it's a theme song so I'm bound to find it catchy - but it's not super cute like Bittersweet or as up-beat as GUTS, and not as cool as Truth so it doesn't leave as much of an impression on me. Although in general I've always been more a fan of their upbeat stuff anyway (Waihaaaaaaaa <3)

- Speaking of the PV... it felt super schizophrenic. They just kept switching scenes all the time and it was hard to follow and very jarring. I'd rather not watch it more than once to talk more about it. Flappy hand at the end annoyed me. The end. 

Keep on Tryin': Not my style. At all. Haha. I'm sorry, but the moment it started playing I kind of wanted to skip the song but I listened to all of it for the sake of this review to see if there was one redeemable point I'd be able to find from it. I haven't found it yet. It just seems so random coming after the title track - like you have this kind of mysterious sounding song followed by a song that's literally just "GANBARE!! GANBARE!!".

Miracle Summer:  Ah. The classic summer song for summer. It's like Summer Splash v2 except made to sound a bit "cooler". What more can I say? Haha.

おかえり: Aw. It's sweet. Definitely has that "I'm home" sort of feel/sound to it that matches the title very well. Like, that kind of nostalgic, longing, sort of feeling? It's one of those songs I can imagine a PV too, where they're walking through this dusty, tree-lined path with soft sunlight filtering through as they look wistfully into the distance. Out of the slow songs they've had in all their singles, I think I like this one the most. The lyrics, and the message behind it are just very sweet - and maybe it tugs a bit at me more because I'm not living at home currently and I can totally understand the feeling of returning home that this song is trying to tell.
---
Overall? Well, I guess you can tell it's not my most favourite single ever. I should clarify that I do like Daremo Shiranai itself as the title track, but I'm not really feeling the couplings. By themselves I'm not a fan of them, and packaged as a single they just sound super out of place and weird/jarring. Although I guess with 3 singles all within the first 5 months of 2014... kind of a bit overkill I guess. By this point I'm more interested in hearing about a potential new album (come on guys!).

RANDOM: I am expecting announcements to be made during WWG. Album, concert tour (possible AAA2014?)....... and well, the delusional MaotsuJun shipper in me kind of wants a marriage announcement so we can move on past all these rumors.. So yeah - AAA2014, album announcement, possible yes?


Music Station Performance [2014.05.30]

Starting off.... I do not like the little mirror effect they tried to pull it - probably cause I could actually see, very clearly, the actual mirror and it's just... weird and jarring and not that great looking in general? Then again, I've never liked the hand movement thing in general they do for this song.

With that being said - I think the choreo for this song is alright. I wish we could see more of what they do during the chorus with the shoulder/arm movements cause I generally like stuff like that, little movements that go along with the beat. Which brings me to my next point of - the moment they start the second verse with Aiba's solo line, Sho's, then Nino's and they do those little head twitches and arm movements to the little ticking clock sound - I love that. I love stuff like that, small details like that - and the thing is they were very on point with this so it actually looked good! I've honestly rewatched the performance just to see that part of the choreo because I really do like it a lot. Also - yay for no Sho flappy hands during the end cause man that flappy hand...

- Jun bending over to act out "singing really hard" when they're totally lip-syncing made me giggle and roll my eyes, because... oh Jun. Please.

- All the boys looked super fine though.

- I will refrain from talking more about Jun and how he looks because ever since Shitsuren Chocolatier I think he's been absolutely gorgeous.

-...in general I just do not like the ending pose they do for this song.

...and that's about it. :D

Should I talk about the talk portion? I don't remember it being very interesting honestly... ^^;; I'm sorry.

Possible posts for the future: A review (read: rant) about ShitsuChoco, Me sucking at Persona 4, any big Arashi announcements (crossing my fingers!), and... I'M GOING TO JAPAN THIS SUMMER SO POST ABOUT THAT WHEN I RETURN :D

No comments:

Post a Comment